I have been wanting to start a blog for quite some time now. But, being the computer expert I am not, it just hasn't happened. So today, I finally made it happen. I have a lot to catch up on and lots of memories to document. What a whirlwind this has all been!
Geof and I decided it was time to have kids about three years ago. After all, we were approaching 35 so we had to get the show on the road! I'm not sure if Geof was actually excited about having a child, or if he was just happy about all of the BD (baby dance) he was going to do, but I like to think if was the thought of a child that put a smile on his face. Reality? It was probably all the BD he was looking forward to. We just assumed we would try for a month or two, and voila, we would get pregnant! But, that wasn't meant to be for us. Again, this was more of an issue for me than Geof. After all, he was convinced once we were successful, the BD would stop. Forever. After about a year without a single positive pregnancy test, (and a very happy husband) we decided it was time to see a Dr. Many tests were done with each test proving nothing was wrong with either of us. We ended up being diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility". This meant we had a couple of options. We could continue trying to get pregnant the old fashion way, (this got Geof's vote) or go to a fertility specialist for furthur treatment. We chose the fertility specialist. Our first step was to try Clomid. Clomid is a pill taken to help a woman ovulate. I never really understood why the Dr had me take this drug. All of the tests and sonograms showed that I ovulated just fine. Every month, on the 11th day, I ovulated without fail. Every. Single. Month. But try Clomid we did. FIVE times! No luck. We then decided to try IUI. During and IUI cycle, a woman is given fertility drugs to help her ovaries produce more eggs. Then, a mans sperm is collected and inserted directly into the womans uterus when she is ovulating. We had IUI done twice. No luck. Now, we could choose to continue with IUI's at about $1,000 a pop, or move on to IVF, which would cost us about $4,500 (thank God we had some insurance coverage!) Our Dr. told us that IUI only increased our chances of getting pregnant by about 10% where IVF would increase our chances to about 50%-60%. At this point we had been on the emotional roller coster for a little over 2 years. Month after month of hoping to get a positive pregnancy test really starts to drain a person emotionally. We decided to put our money into the option with the best chance of getting us pregnant. Our next step would be IVF.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment